Two weeks in England were fun. We had great weather (in March!), and saw family and many friends for the first
time in 3 years. It was also a welcome break from house building.
While we were away Ben & Kevin stayed busy and made a lot of progress
(perhaps we should go away more often!)
Our return was exciting; Ben & Kevin had done
so much while we were relaxing in England!
The bathroom was finished with mirrors, shower door and lights all installed -
the look fab!
The finished floors look even better than we had expected: the beautiful
golden brown makes a fine contrast to the lighter color of the logs. The deck railings also look great, making
all the difference to the deck, its views and the appearance of the south side of the house - thanks
We worked hard this week, finishing lots of small jobs and tiling the mudroom.
Mark Briels came to agree a scope of electrical work downstairs. This should
happen next week while we are away.
Unfortunately Jack Anderson was sick for two week; we hope to see him finish
his work next week.
What was I saying about going away?! We drove to Tucson for our Conference, staying the first two
nights at the Omni Tucson National Resort (very fine!). The rest of the week we enjoyed an excellent
conference, catching up with our friends - many of them have been following our progress at this site!
We've planned to finish as much of the downstairs as possible by the end of
May, in time to watch the World Cup (soccer) on our big screen TV in the comfort of our living room. The
returned early from Tucson, driving through in 13 hours - we couldn't wait to see the progress. The boys had
almost finished the deck railings, installed all the outside lights and done more much-needed cleanup.
Mark Briels' guys (Mike and Josh) finished their rough electrical work and we
passed the inspection on Friday.
Jack Anderson had returned and almost finished his painting.
Ben & Kevin finished the deck railings, and we worked on framing some new
walls and lower ceilings downstairs. We also peeled, scribed and erected log arches in the office and exercise
room doorways and in the hallway downstairs. We decided to use more half-logs in many room corners and some in
the ceilings - they'll look good and increase the "log home" feel in the walk-out basement where we
have no log walls in the inside.
I pulled some more cable downstairs (several we forgot before!), installed
boxes for the phone, TV and audio/visual outlets, and replaced the insulation moved by the electricians (they
had no choice) - a nasty job.
Now we are almost ready for drywall.
Come back soon to check on our continuing progress, now that we are in.
God bless and Happy New Year,